sshd -p option vs ListenAddress

Chris Lightfoot chris at ex-parrot.com
Sat Dec 17 23:42:32 EST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 03:14:07PM -0800, Kevin Steves wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:48:49PM +0000, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
> : On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:36:33PM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> : > > This seems... counterintuitive, at least. Is it the
> : > > intended behaviour?
>
> yes.
>
> : > Two different options (Port and ListenAddress) that control the same
> : > thing are bound to be at least a little bit confusing.
>
> true.
>
> : > Although sshd_config(5) is somewhat helpful, it doesn't clearly say
> : > that ListenAddress has priority over Port, at least with a
> : > ListenAddress on host 0.
> :
> : No -- it's in the case where all ListenAddress directives
> : specify a port, rather than where all specify host = 0.
>
> Summary as I recall:
>   -p overrides Port
>   ListenAddress :port overrides -p and Port
>   -p or Port only used when no ListenAddress :port
>
> The following seem fairly clear to me but I may have written some
> of it.
    [...]

Yes, it's fine taken all together, but the description in
sshd(8) implies that you can make the server listen on a
particular port just by giving a -p option. It'd be useful
at least to note that this isn't so, for instance by
adding, something like,

    However, this option does not override any port
    specified as part of a ListenAddress in the
    configuration file; see sshd_config(5) for more
    information.

--
``Dear Mr. Gadaffi,
  You must be very proud. It's not every day that a duck becomes president.''