Dead proxy tunnel not cleared

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Feb 1 18:13:21 EST 2005

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> Yes, 2.6.8 from Suse 9.2. (Read: 2.6.8+2.6.9-rc1)
> I do not think this issue is related to me, as the problem is on the client
> side, i.e. a bug of ssh, not sshd.

Ah, you're using a ProxyComand?  And the proxycommand is exitting but
ssh is never finding this out?

Could you please supply the ProxyCommand options and the output of "ssh
-vvv whereever" (with any IP addresses obscured in both if required).

 From your description it sounds like it's a problem with select() not
returning a close when the proxycommand dies rather than a signal thing
(afaict ssh doesn't use on SIGCHLD at all).  You can test this by
attaching an strace -p to a hung ssh process.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.