ftp over ssl via openssh

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Feb 2 11:16:51 EST 2005

Edward Peschko wrote:
> ... then why is sftp included in the distribution, as well as ssh?
> Technically,  sftp is not a 'secure shell' (its a secure service),
> and yet it is included.

It is, it's part of the SecSH protocol spec ("SSH File Transfer
Protocol"):m http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/secsh-charter.html

> ps - and yes, I'm being a bit facetious here. True, the difference
> between sftp and ftps is that ftps uses sshd as a server mechanism,
> and that you package both together for convenience.

No, the difference between sftp and ftps is *they're completely
different and incompatible protocols*.  They don't even use the same TCP
port.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.