Feature request: FAIL_DELAY-support for sshd

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Feb 5 11:08:33 EST 2005

Bjoern Voigt wrote:
> Yes, but it's possible to test the existance of pam_fail_delay() in PAM
> with "#ifdef HAVE_PAM_FAIL_DELAY" (source:
> /usr/include/security/_pam_types.h in Linux-PAM).

Sure, that's possible.

That said, if you want to change the fail-on-delay policy for PAM then
you should do it via a PAM module.  Putting policy decisions like this
in the hands of admins rather than application developers is what PAM is
for, and PAM modules is how PAM implements policy.

[...]
>    One small problem remains: I get the delays only with
>    ChallengeResponseAuthentication, not with PasswordAuthentication. I
>    wonder a bit about this.

Depending on where you put your pam_fail_delay() it may not be in the
path for PasswordAuthentication: remember, there's *two*
pam_authenticate() calls.  Try moving it to immediately after the
pam_start(), that'll be in the path for both.

[...]
> Do you have the whole patch for your ChangeLog-entry? I already looked
> in www.openssh.org's CVS archive, but there is only OpenBSD's ssh source
> in CVS.

Portable's cvsweb is here:
http://cvsweb.mindrot.org/index.cgi/openssh/

> Probably I also need some changes in other files, not only in
> pam-auth.c?

The whole patch for that changelog entry contained only auth-pam.c, but
if you're backporting to 3.9p1 then you'll also need the attached patch
for full effect.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.