ssh parameter to quell banner in e.g. CVS extssh

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Feb 7 05:13:50 EST 2005

Johan Glimming wrote:
> (I am not a regular subscriber so please cc to glimming--AT--kth--DOT--se)
>
> I am using CVS over SSH (and SSH in other cases too) and in a certain
> context it is very annoying to get the SSH banner displayed all the
> time when using e.g. CVS.

Could you be more specific?  In the configurations I use there are no
ssh banners.  Are you referring to the /etc/motd?

> Is there a way to set negative verbosity or to otherwise quell the
> banner information in SSH (or, worse, in CVS). I have tried ssh -q but
> that does _not_ quell the banner.

I am not one of the developers but as I read this it appears to me
that you have a local configuration which is abnormal.  Are you sure
this is not something in your shell environment file?  Such as in
your .bashrc?  The following should produce no output.

  ssh host.example.com true

Bob