Is it possible to avoid PAM calls for key based Auth methods

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Feb 16 14:03:07 EST 2005

Nicolas Williams wrote:
> You really don't want to do this as this means making modules aware of
> ssh protocol specific details just so you can configure each ssh
> authentication method differently.

Yeah, but not being responsible for the PAM stacks I don't care so much
about that :-)  Seriously, this just points out how limited the PAM
configuration mechanism is.

>>- sshd could use different PAM service names for the different auth types.
>>  (eg "sshd-public-key", "sshd-password", "sshd-gssapi-with-mic" and fall
>>back to "sshd" if these don't exists.  This would probably be tricky to
>>write because you'd have to stop and start PAM for each auth attempt.)
>
> Solaris 10's sshd does this.  See:

Will it attempt to fall back to "sshd" if the specific PAM service does
not exist (or do you just end up with "other")?

> The service names it uses are:
>
>  - sshd-none
>  - sshd-password
>  - sshd-kbdint
>  - sshd-pubkey
>  - sshd-hostbased
>  - sshd-gssapi (for both, gssapi-keyex and gssapi-with-mic)
>
> You might want to use those too...

Those do not agree with the defaults in the ssh_config(4) man page (at
least the one online at
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5174/6mbb98uk5?a=view)

(On an unrelated note I see MaxAuthTries and MaxAuthTriesLog are still
undocumented...)

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.