Suggestion for complementing ssh[d]_config man pages concerning syntax for comments

Rolf Sponsel Rolf.Sponsel at kstr.lth.se
Sat Jan 1 08:51:30 EST 2005

Hello everybody on this list,

First of all; I wish everyone entering a new year
that the new year will be a better one and a very
prosperous one.

Whilest playing around with OpenSSH, in particular
with the sshd_config file, I noticed that it seems
to be possible to add a comment also at the end of
lines with directives by prepending the comment with
a hash (in common *nix fashion), in addition to the
explicitly mentioned syntax for including comments
in ssh(d)_config files as described in the man pages,
e.g. like this:

# sshd_config file for OpenSSH
Protocol 2   # default is 2,1 (order not significant)

Running sshd in test mode (i.e. '/.../sshd -t')
doesn't seem to not complain either which makes
me believe this is allowed, but not documented.

IMHO, I believe this could be explicitly mentioned
in the sshd_config man page (and in the ssh_config
man page too) in order to avoid any doubts thereof.

My comments refere to the documentation/man pages
provided with OpenSSH 3.9(p1).

Best Regards
Rolf Sponsel

BTW, I'm currently not subscribed to the mailing list
thus, in case of any leaving comments in response to
this my suggestion, please, if possible cc me.

--
----
------

Rolf Sponsel