OpenSSH-39 not sending syslog msges to proper files

Senthil Kumar senthilkumar_sen at hotpop.com
Thu Jan 13 01:23:29 EST 2005

Hello All,

My testing of OpenSSH-39 compiled with tcp_wrappers in hpux 11.11 and hpux
11.23 points that sshd is NOT sending the syslog details properly to
specified files. This happens when I set the syslogfacility as local7 and
Log Level as INFO for sshd. However OpenSSH -38 works correctly for the same
setting.

I denied a host in /etc/hosts.deny and sshd should send a message "refused
connect from" to the /var/adm/syslog/sshd1.log as per my setting whenever a
new ssh connection happens from the denied host to this sshd server. But
this is not happening in OpenSSH-39. My testing also points that the problem
is produced with Log Level INFO if sshd re-executes itself for new
connection. When sshd runs with re-exec feature disabled with the help of -r
option, it sends the messages to specified files.

My sample syslog.conf
local7.info          /var/adm/syslog/sshd1.log

Thanks for help,
Senthil Kumar.

---