PermitRootLogin without-password functionality differs for UsePAM yes/no option

Ponraj Mathiazagan tryponraj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 20:23:33 EST 2005

Hi,

I am using OpenSSH 3.9p1. For " UsePAM yes/no " option with "
PermitRootLogin without-password", the server functionality differs.
For " UsePAM yes ", the server allows authentication thru password,
meanwhile " UsePAM no " does not. I have fixed that problem and the
patch is given below.

File: auth.c
In auth_root_allowed() function

+if ((strcmp(method, "password") != 0 ) && (strcmp(method,
"keyboard-interactive/pam") !=0))
+                        return 1;
-if (strcmp(method, "password") != 0 )

Please let me know whether this patch will produce any undesired effect.

Thanks
Ponraj M