openssh-4.1p1 on OSX 10.4.1 w/ openssl-0.9.8 NOT FINDING -lcrypto

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Jul 11 12:31:51 EST 2005

OpenMacNews wrote:
>    setenv DEFAULT_LIBPATH
>
> built binaries are all still ok ... i just can't compile/link fresh with
> it UNset.

In that case I suspect DEFAULT_LIBPATH is magic to the OS X linker and
you were just lucky :-)

> ok. hmmm ... it may be worth mentioning, then, that in my/this case,
> i've built openssl (OpenSSL 0.9.8 05 Jul 2005) as:
>
>    ./Configure --prefix=/usr/local/ssl --openssldir=/usr/local/ssl
> darwin-ppc-cc -DUSE_TOD shared threads enable-rc5 enable-mdc2
> -DOPENSSL_USE_GMP -lgmp

It looks like the "shared" option is the reason.  If you were to rebuild
w/out it (and delete the existing libaries from /usr/local/ssl/lib) then
I strongly suspect you will not see the problem.

>> BTW findssl.sh uses "locate" when available because it's much faster than
>> "find".
>
> ok. agreed that its faster  .... just curious if/how its path traversal
> differs ...

It doesn't matter.  findssl.sh's purpose is to show *all* installed
versions, the order is irrelevant.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.