openssh-4.1p1 on OSX 10.4.1 w/ openssl-0.9.8 NOT FINDING -lcrypto

OpenMacNews OpenMacNews at speakeasy.net
Wed Jul 13 00:25:18 EST 2005

hi darren,

>> unfortunately, trying to build w/ static ssl/zlib on OSX opens up "a
>> whole nother can o worms" ... <sigh> ...
>
> You don't have to build OpenSSH with -static, just make sure the there's no
> dynamic version of the relevant libraries in the link path.

understood ... i'd already found your earlier posts (thx!) and had tried
various combos of movig the static libs to a separate dir,
--with-ldflags/cppflags, etc. ... just haven;t been able to get 'configure' to
accept that LIBS ad HEADERS are same version.

it fids the CORRECT (i.e., *my*) version of the headers, but simply refuses to
query the correct LIBS ... it keeps grabbing the OSX-native libs i /usr/lib

i suppose i could temporarily MOVE/RENAME the originals ... but that 'wrankles'
a bit.

>> anyway, a question re: findssl.sh ...
> [...]
>> oddly, NO lib files -- shared OR static are found ....
>>
>> nonetheless, the openssh build against openssl installed in /usr/local
>> is all ok.
>>
>> what am i missing so that findssl.sh is NOT FINDING the libs?
>
> Well, for one thing findssl doesn't know that *.dylib might be a library.
> You can try the attached patch for that.

thx.  i'd already caught that and changed appropriately for ".so" --> ".dylib"
support

> As far as the *.a libraries, I dunno.  The script uses an ugly hack to force
> the use of a particular library (ie it doesn't use -L) which works on most
> Unixes I know of, but maybe the OS X linker doesn't work that way.

<grumble>

thx,

cheers,

richard