Pam module leaks information

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Jul 19 00:21:35 EST 2005

Senthil Kumar wrote:
> Darren wrote:
>> That said, it sounds like your module is the source of the timing
>> discrepancy.  Does it behave the same way with other PAM apps?
>
> When I test this module with telnet with valid password entered they
> close the conn.

That's a bit suspicious, are they checking the PAM service name or
something?  Or is it password -> delay -> close connection?

> With invalid passwd they prompt for password after some
> delay. The same behaviour happens for password auth. with sshd. With
> challengeresponse, for valid password it return quickly to next prompt
> and with invalid password it took some time.

It's possible that your module is stashing something using pam_set_data
and then inserting the delay and failing out during the account phase.
It's pretty hard to tell without looking at the module's code.

I added a timestamp option (-v) to my PAM test harness, this may help
show where the delays are ocurring:
http://www.zip.com.au/~dtucker/patches/#pamtest

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)