sftp backspace not working (OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian-8.sarge.4)

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Jul 19 17:51:41 EST 2005

J. Grant wrote:
> I am using sftp which comes with OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian-8.sarge.4,
> OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004

Me too.  It works fine for me.  And I find it hard to believe this is
a package bug.  This smells more like a configuration error.

> I noticed backspace is not working. Couild someone tell me if this is
> fixed in a newer package please?

The most likely source of problems is a misconfigured tty driver erase
character setting.  You should first verify your setting.

  stty -a

Look for the erase setting.  You should see:

  erase = ^?

But possibly you might see:

  erase = ^H

Regardless, it must match what is being produced by the key on your
keyboard.  If you are using a Linux kernel then the key will produce
the ^? DEL character and should be set to that.  If it does not then
the key will not be recognized as an erase character and you will see
either ^? or ^H depending upon which it happens to be.

  stty erase ^?

That is the default on Debian systems.  But other systems, most
notably commercial SysV systems, often use ^H for that character.  If
you have a ~/.profile or other environment file from one of those
systems you may be setting the erase character incorrectly.

If you believe this to be a Debian package bug then you should use the
'reportbug' script from the reportbug package to file a bug in the BTS
about your problem.

Bob