Error when allocating PTY

Martin Kiepfer snuggles at acampo.net
Wed Jun 8 17:13:00 EST 2005

hi everybody,

I'm working on an boot image and actually try to get an ssh server working on clients, booting that
image over the net. I want to authenticate with my public key on the client, which seems to work fine.
The only problem I have is that the sshd couldn't open an console. I've allready tested some things,
but didn't fix it, yet. in den dev directory all tty's and pty's () exists but I suppose my problem
has somethinkg to do with a missing kernel configuration.
Here is the corresponding debug output of sshd:

debug1: channel 0: new [server-session]
debug1: session_new: init
debug1: session_new: session 0
debug1: session_open: channel 0
debug1: session_open: session 0: link with channel 0
debug1: server_input_channel_open: confirm session
debug1: server_input_channel_req: channel 0 request pty-req reply 0
debug1: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req pty-req
debug1: Allocating pty.
debug1: Received SIGCHLD.
openpty: Exec format error
session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed
debug1: server_input_channel_req: channel 0 request shell reply 0
debug1: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req shell
debug1: Received SIGCHLD.

Perhaps some of you can give me a hint or even had the same problem and can tell me how to fix it. Am I right that "openpty" is a syscall? I've taken a look into the System.map from my kernel
but didn't find it.

regards,
Martin