sshd_config parameter to deal with multiple failed logins

Tom Crane uhap023 at alpha9.rhul.ac.uk
Thu Jun 30 07:10:53 EST 2005

Does anyone know if there are plans to give sshd the ability to block
further login attempts from a particular IP address/block after a set
number of failed logins?  I'm sure lots of other admins have seen their
system logs full of attempts by hackers probing with lists of sample
usernames.  I know there is a Python script which uses TCP wappers to
achieve this by editing /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}.  This seems a little
ugly.  Please could responders CC me since I'm not on the mailing list.

Thanks
Tom Crane.