openssh 3.9p1 problems on big-endian ARM platform

Dan Yefimov dan at lightwave.net.ru
Tue Mar 1 01:56:37 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:

> I'm having some trouble with openssh 3.9p1 on a big-endian ARM platform.
> Everything appears to build and run okay, but I can only shell to the box
> itself or to other big-endian ARM boxes.  Shelling to an x86 box gives me:
>
> 	Disconnecting: Corrupted MAC on input.
>
> and shelling from an x86 to the ARM gives me the same message.
>
> What's odd is that the RSA fingerprints are reported differently if I'm
> shelling from the x86 or from the ARM.  From the ARM I get:
>
> 	[buytenh at enp2611 ~]$ ssh localhost
> 	The authenticity of host 'localhost (127.0.0.1)' can't be established.
> 	RSA key fingerprint is 09:ee:a8:21:21:dc:82:bd:3a:49:1d:25:a3:c4:ad:eb.
> 	Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
>
> >From the x86 I get:
>
> 	pi% ssh enp2611
> 	The authenticity of host 'enp2611 (10.0.0.31)' can't be established.
> 	RSA key fingerprint is 36:01:dc:80:71:5f:12:cd:26:ec:4d:31:bb:82:5e:01.
> 	Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
>
> Any ideas where to look first?  Most ARM boxes are little-endian, so I
> thought that maybe openssh was assuming that arm is always little-endian,
> like many other packages do, but that doesn't seem to be it.

I'm afraid you have problems with openssl that is used internally by openssh.
Try upgrading to the latest openssl release. If that doesn't help, try
recompiling it with platform-specific optimisations turned off. Of course, your
compiler must be able to generate correct code for your particular platform.
--

    Sincerely Your, Dan.