PKI and SSH (cont.)

Ben Hacker Jr strbenjr at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 13:55:35 EST 2005

Dear List...

I have a similar question to the one that is copied below.  I
am trying to get instructions for configuring OpenSSH to use PKI
based authentication.

I understand that I can provide the server with the public keys
of the client machines to get this working (one way) but the next
step is where I would like to go...

I want SSHD to authenticate my users based upon the "Root
Certificate" of "My" PKI.  (Say I set it up using: "CA.pl"
http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/CA.pl.html)

If the client attempting to authenticate presents a certificate
that has been:

1. signed by My_Root_CA
2. is not expired
3. is not revoked

then SSHD will proceed with the authentication of the client.

If the "client user" gets Public/private keys + certificate from
some other CA (like DigSigTrust.com or Versign.com) the SSHD will
NOT authenticate because the certificate used was not signed by:
My_Root_CA"

Can OpenSSH do this??

If not,  I do not want the client user to be able to install his own
public keys.  Can I put a list of accepted public keys somewhere else
(like: /etc/ssh/authorized_keys) or do I have to put them in each
users home directory and make the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys only
writable by root?

Please CC: me on the reply because I am not subscribed to this list.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Ben Hacker Jr