Call for release testing

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Mar 3 11:05:51 EST 2005

Damien Miller wrote:
> We are preparing to release another stable OpenSSH soon, so once
> again we are asking for your help in testing CVS snapshots.

One thing not in Damien's list:

OpenSSH Portable now has a (completely voluntary) configuration survey.
It will collect information about the platform and the options OpenSSH was
configured with and mail it to an archive.  We tried to be careful not to
collect anything that might be considered sensitive, however if anyone has
any issues with the data collected then please let us know).

The raw data will be available only to the development team, however we
may publish summary data at some point in the future.

This will help us support your platform!  It will allow us to (among other
things) know which combinations of options are valid on which plaforms and
better target testing.  This would allow us to answer questions like (and
these are real examples of things we've need to know in the past):
  * If we make changes to realpath(), which platforms will that affect?
  * Are there any platforms currently in use that don't have fchdir()?
  * Do any platforms have both PAM and BSDauth?
  * and so on...

You can view the data that is collected by running "make survey" and
looking at the file "survey" in the build dir.  The data is not sent until
you explicitly request it ("make send-survey").  If you have any doubts at
all then ask us (or then don't send it).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.