Fwd: Sftp Logging

Jason A. Dour jason at dour.org
Wed Mar 9 01:11:51 EST 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 09:10:48AM +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> Jijo Abraham wrote:
> >
> >Hello,
> >
> >Does anyone how enable the sFTP logging?
> >I have a solaris 9 on sun blade 2500
> >SSh Version:
> >ssh -V
> >SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0.1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
>
> that isn't openssh.

Not to re-open metal containers of invertebrates, but...

Yet again, the issue of SFTP logging has come up on the list.  A
regular occurance since a healthy number of administrators
apparently desire the functionality.  Healthy enough of a number
that there are at least two (possibly three) patch sets providing
this functionality.

I personally have been revisiting the SFTP logging issue since at
least 2001...almost four years have passed since I first brought up
this issue on this very list.  In that time, I've provided and
privately maintained a patch that has been used by a number of
people with great success.  Others have redistributed it with their
own patch sets.  And now there is another recently developed
patch set.

Every few months the issue gets discussed, and promptly ignored.

Is it possible that now is the time for the core open-ssh team to
see the elephant that is in the room, and if not work on logging
personally, at least define specific goals/requirements for a set of
patches that would *seriously* be considered for acceptance into the
core release?

I think it is pretty clear to anyone who is not unduly biased on the
issue that open-ssh is lacking in the area of logging for its
file-tranfer sub-systems.  I think it is also pretty clear that
open-ssh's user-base actively desires this functionality.

Again...not trying to raise hackles...just trying to help a great
product become greater still...

Cheers,
Jason

# "Jason A. Dour" <jason at dour.org>                  http://dour.org/