no-pty option.

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Mar 22 07:00:14 EST 2005

rz1a at nwgsm.ru wrote:
>  Not sure if this is a proper list to ask and it's not strictly
>  OpenSSH related.
>
>  I put the "no-pty" option on a key and try to login with it. As it
>  should be - the shell access is denyed.
>
>  However, I get an unrestricted access if I execute a command like
>  this:
>  $ ssh user at server /bin/sh
>
>  I get the shell that just has no prompt but works as usual.

What you have there is a regular interactive shell without a controlling
terminal.

Things requiring a controlling terminal won't work but pretty much
everything else will.

>  All this badness happens to me on QNX4 and SSH.com's ssh-1.2.33.
>
>  Now the question:
>  How does it happen on other UNIXes?

Typically the same thing happens.

>  What would you suggest - is it a port's fault or a OS's "specifics"?

If you need to prevent users running certain commands (like /bin/sh)
you'll need a restricted shell or similar.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.