New HPN patch released for 3.9

chris rapier rapier at psc.edu
Sat Mar 26 07:59:06 EST 2005

We've released a new HPN (High Performance Network) patch for OpenSSH
3.9p1. We've made two major changes - first off we backed out of all
the modifications we made to buffer.c. Turns out that it just wasn't
necessary once we fixed a nagging bug in channels.c. I also made a
minor change to the buffer sizes in the source and sink functions in
scp.c Increasing the size of both reduces the number of read/write
syscalls 60% for source and 20% for sink. It doesn't give a big
performance gain but once this starts moving at GigE speeds most any
performance gain is worth exploring.

Anyway, the patch can be found at
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh

We'll have a patch for 4.0 up by Monday at the latest.

Any comments, critiques, or suggestions about these patches are welcome
and all will be taken seriously and given due consideration.