caching

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sun Mar 27 23:32:36 EST 2005

Frederik Eaton wrote:
> Also, terminal resizing doesn't seem to work through cached
> connections...

It works for me. Please file a bug an attach a detailed (-vvv) trace
when resizing a slave window doesn't work. It would be good if you could
capture one from the server end ("sshd -ddd") too.

 >>I'm trying to use ssh's new connection caching facilities from a
 >>wrapper script so that the caching is transparent to the user, i.e. a
 >>socket for each destination is created in the user's ~/.ssh/
 >>directory. For the most part it works well, but I've been having some
 >>trouble.
 >>
 >>Firstly, sometimes when I create a slave connection, it hangs when the
 >>connection is created; slightly more often it hangs when I try to log
 >>out.

Can you also try to catch this with debugging turned on and attach
the trace to a separate bug?

 >>Secondly, it seems that X11 port forwarding isn't done for slave
 >>connections.

Yes, this is something of a protocol limitation but there may be
ways to cheat around it. Please file a bug for this too, so it
doesn't get dropped.

 >>Have other people encountered these issues? If they are actual bugs,
 >>are they being worked on? Does somebody have a wrapper script which
 >>accomplishes the task I'm trying to accomplish (or is support for it
 >>planned to be included in ssh - since it seems like the main reason
 >>one would want caching in the first place)? Thanks,

Automated multiplexing connections are planned and a couple of people
are looking at it. I didn't implement it at first because I wanted to
make it stable before adding extra features.

> More concisely: What is the status of the caching facilities? Is
> someone working on improving them?

I use them daily and have found it to be very stable. Naturally
we will fix any bugs we find and we plan to implement a few more
features when we have time (like the automatic setup of the master
connection).

-d