SSHD creates defunct process

Chidanand Gangur chidanand.gangur at gmail.com
Thu May 12 23:59:45 EST 2005

you are right Darren I have built the SSHD from source code. My only
concern is  as mentioned  before every thing goes well when i run SSHD
in debug mode [./sshd -ddd] . I face problem when i run it as service.
[./sshd].

Regarding my pam module  I not doing great in it i have my
implementation  for pam_sm_authenticate  rest  of the pam_sm_*
functions are empty, that is they just return PAM_SUCCESS.

And from the logs in SSHD , pam module and rest of the programs i can
make out user was authenticated and a success was sent to SSHD.

Now I am plannig to put function entry log and function exit log in
all sshd code so that i can see what actually went wrong. Is there any
other method to achive it.

Thanks,
Chidanand

On 5/12/05, Darren Tucker <dtucker at zip.com.au> wrote:
> Chidanand Gangur wrote:
> > I have tried various options upgrading PAM
> > tweaking configuration files here and there
> > went through the SSHD code
>
> 3.6.1p2 is a couple of years old and the PAM code in sshd has been
> significantly changed (improved, I hope :-).  Did you build it from
> source yourself?
>
> What does the debug output from sshd give (ie "/path/to/sshd -ddde") for
> one of the problem connections?
>
> Does the problem occur with sshd from OpenSSH-4.0p1?
>
> > but yet failed to resolve  the problem. What is wrong in my
> > configuration ?? is this problem related to libraries ? to which SSHD
> > links? Please give me some  clue.
>
> Could be anything.  When you mentioned "proprietary PAM module" you
> entered the realm of "there be dragons".
>
> --
> Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
> GPG key 8FF4FA69 / D9A3 86E9 7EEE AF4B B2D4  37C9 C982 80C7 8FF4 FA69
>      Good judgement comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience
> usually comes from bad judgement.

Chidanand Gangur
Pune.