Amateur Radio/FCC and the "none" encryption option

Mark Janssen maniac.nl at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 01:32:39 EST 2005

On 11/11/05, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > Is there an easy way to get the "none" option back into OpenSSH?  In
> > order to do TCP/IP over amateur radio in the U.S. (and most other
> > countries) we must not use encryption to obscure the meaning of our
> > info, but we are allowed to use authentication to set up the links.
> Is there no answer back from the devel. team on this one?  We've
> been struggling to keep this option compiled in and it's been
> getting harder to find old enough versions that the patches will
> apply to, and harder to compile such on newer systems.

Don't the high-performance networking patch guys also keep a none
option available. afaik they have working patches for the latest and
greatest openssh versions.

> I got one reply off-sig from someone who keeps newer patches
> available, but why should this be necessary?  If there's a
> demonstrated need from some group of users can't this function be
> included in the sources as it used to be?  It can be made more
> difficult to accidentally compile in as a default, perhaps a
> special #define or something that needs to be set or uncommented.

No comment here... developer decision ;) But I wouldn't mind if the
none version from hpn would be included... as long as it's never ever
used as a default :) and prints a huge warning if it ever is used
without some switch/configoption to disable the warning ;)

> Again, this is for use over amateur radio links, and the FCC doesn't
> allow us to encrypt over radio links.  We're allowed to
> authenticate, but not encrypt the data over a link.

That sucks ;)

--
Mark Janssen  --  maniac(at)maniac.nl  --  pgp: 0x357D2178 |   ,''`.  |
Unix / Linux Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ Snow.nl |  : :' :  |