--with-zlib vs. --with-ssl-dir

Roumen Petrov openssh at roumenpetrov.info
Wed Nov 23 06:57:40 EST 2005

The common (standard) use for optional packages is:
   --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
This is "two state" argument:
-enable:
   --with-PACKAGE or --with-PACKAGE=yes
-disable:
   --with-PACKAGE=no or --without-PACKAGE

To minimize arguments many projects use "three state" --with-PACKAGE[=PATH] :
-enable and search in default locations:
   --with-PACKAGE or --with-PACKAGE=yes
-enable and search in specified prefix and optionaly in default locations:
   --with-PACKAGE=path
-disable:
   --with-PACKAGE=no or --without-PACKAGE

Without "three state" argument configure script sould use two arguments:
   --with-PACKAGE[=ARG] or --enable-FEATURE
, to enable/disable package/feature and one more
   --with-PACKAGE-dir=PATH or --PACKAGE-dir=PATH or ...
, to specify location.

I prefer "three state" arguments.