make tests failure

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Oct 12 08:39:51 EST 2005

Andreas Fehr wrote:
> - This is a test on the localhost, so I guess, there is no man in the
>   middle attack (hosts file is setup correctly, localhost points to
>   127.0.0.1)
>
> - I don't want to use protocol 1 anyway, so how can I skip the test?

There's no easy way, but if you really want to you can do "make tests
LTESTS="[list of tests]".  A better approach is to fix the problem (see
below).

> - I copied the known host file from my already installed ssh
>   (~/.ssh/known_hosts) to ./regress/ but that didn't help
>
> - Just to be sure, I checked the 4.1 source of my current installation
>   and it came up with the same error, but I can't remember seeing this
>   error with the prev. installation. So I stopped the running sshd,
>   removed the /etc/ssh directory and run the test again with the same
>   result.
>
> - I'm running uname -a: Linux linuxbox 2.6.12.5 #1 Tue Aug 16 08:57:47
>   CEST 2005 ppc unknown unknown GNU/Linux

If you're using OpenSSL 0.9.7g then there's a bug in the PPC assember
code which can cause this.  I don't know if any other versions are affected.

The attached patch fixes this (I didn't write it, I just happen to have
it handy), or alternatively you can rebuild OpenSSL without assembler
optimizations.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.