SSH, glibc, and Red Hat

Jason.C.Burns at wellsfargo.com Jason.C.Burns at wellsfargo.com
Wed Oct 26 10:40:45 EST 2005

>> The only thing to watch for there is for kernel-related things since
>> you're obviously running on the same kernel in the chroot.

>Certainly.  And a good thing to note.

>> This was the case with the descriptor passing bugs in Linux 2.0
kernels:
>> the Debian folk used chroots as you described.  configure found that
>> descriptor passing worked fine (which it did, on the host's kernel)
>> even though it didn't on the target.  They eventually added some code

>> to detect the buggy kernel versions at runtime.

>Yes that can be a problem.  But that is almost the same problem as when
you compile something for the local machine and then boot to a different
>kernel on the same machine.  Things that depend upon the kernel might
work differently.  So what you say the Debian folks did, which was to
detect
>the situation at runtime, sounds like a best case solution for things
that depend upon the kernel.

>I say almost the same problem because obviously most people don't lose
features when installing new kernels.  But it does happen at times.
>I often boot into older kernels in order to test something or to try to
recreate some particular configuration.  Fortunately there are few
>things that are sensitive to the kernel version.

All very good ideas, but in the essence of compatibility, I think I'll
just create a VM of the OS/kernel that's having the problems and just
add it to the build script.

Thanks for all the info, you guys have been immensely helpful.

Jason