ssh launched from xterm still running after xterm killed on Cygwin

Derek Price derek at ximbiot.com
Wed Sep 7 06:36:40 EST 2005

When I launch ssh sessions from xterms and exit them via the command
line, the processes go away, but if I just kill the xterm window an ssh
was launched from via a mouse click, the ssh.exe hangs around taking up
system resources until I kill it via the task manager, if I can figure
out which ssh.exes are the zombies.

The same problem *does not* occur from a simple bash shell window
(launched via C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i).  Closing this bash shell
does properly kill the ssh session, so I expect this problem will end up
having something to do with xterm.

This is with the latest Cygwin (upgraded a few minutes ago via the
kernel.org mirror) on Windows NT SP2 with all the latest updates.
Output of `cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out' attached.

(Incidentally, my ssh-agents also keep running, though I *like* that -
it means that the following script doesn't care if I exit the original
bash-shell:

export SSH_AUTH_SOCK=$HOME/.ssh-agent/`hostname`-ssh-auth-sock
if test -d "$HOME/.ssh-agent"; then :; else
        mkdir "$HOME/.ssh-agent"
fi
if ssh-add -l >/dev/null 2>&1; then :; else
        rm "$SSH_AUTH_SOCK"
fi
if test -S "$SSH_AUTH_SOCK"; then :; else
        ssh-agent -a "$SSH_AUTH_SOCK"
        ssh-add
fi

But I suppose there will be some way to get that behavior back via nohup
or whatever if this gets fixed.)

Please CC me with any response since I am not a member of these lists.

Regards,

Derek

--
Derek R. Price