ssh hangs or gives Segmentation fault

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Sep 22 16:31:58 EST 2005

Jean-Pierre.Eckmann at physics.unige.ch wrote:
> Effect: when I build and test (with full path names) ssh in the
> openssh... directory, everything works fine. When I "install" it as per
> attached file into a test-directory and run it from there, there are 2
> phenomena:
[...]
> PLEASE NOTE: Is this a bug?

Probably.  Where it is is another question.

> I can run ssh in the directory in which I build it , but it crashes or
> hangs in the install directory.

That sounds like the install process is corrupting the binaries.  I'm
guessing it's the "strip" call, try disabling it like so:

$ make install STRIP_OPT=""

You can also try running your installed binaries under gdb to get a
backtrace (however since they're stripped it would give a lot of
information):

$ gdb /path/to/ssh
(gdb) set args -vvv server.example.com
(gdb) run