Permission denied message and leak with it

Senthil Kumar senthilkumar_sen at hotpop.com
Thu Sep 22 19:28:08 EST 2005

Hello All,

I am using OpenSSH 4.x versions. If I try to ssh to a system with a user
account and if all my auth methods fails, the client side gets the following
message.

Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

This looks like an information leak, where a malicious user can detect all
the allowed authmethods on the server system.  I would like to know if there
are some reasons for giving these informations out.

Thanks,
Senthil Kumar.