problem specifying port to ssh

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Fri Apr 7 09:43:06 EST 2006

Don Cohen wrote:
> Damien Miller writes:
>  > It looks like your /etc/nsswitch.conf or one of the supporting libraries
>  > is messed up - it is failing inside a getaddrinfo() call, probably
>  > in /lib/libnss_nisplus.so.2
>
> I actually did look at that.
> This from dired of /etc
>   -rw-r--r--    1 root    root      1750 Sep  8  2005 nsswitch.conf
>   -rw-r--r--    1 root    root      1696 Sep 22  2004 nsswitch.conf.rpmnew
> suggests that on Sep 8 that file was replaced.

No, it suggests that it was replaced with a file that was last modified
on Sep 8 2005.  When that occurred is not necessarily the same time
(compare with the inode creation time: "ls -lc").

> But that's too long ago to account for the problem, since I do use
> ssh -p fairly regularly.
> The difference between the two files is that the current one contains
> files nisplus in a lot of places where the other contains only files

You might also want to check the "services" entry in nsswitch.conf.

> But I don't understand how this is related to supplying a port.

The port number is passed to getaddrinfo() along with the hostname.  It
would appear that your system can handle hostname alone, but isn't happy
with both.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.