Need Help Using NIS netgroup - Does It Still Work?

Vadim Pushkin wiskbroom at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 22 07:19:44 EST 2006

Hello;

Forgive me for asking on this list, but I've noticed that their has been
some recent changes to the code with regards to netgroup.h, and hoping that
someone on this list can help, I've already tried the users list.

I am having difficulties setting up ssh (ossh4.3p2 with PAM-enabled [DO I
NEED IT?] - NIS -Solaris8/Sparc) to authenticate and allow users
passwordless entry based solely on a user, or the host that they are on,
being on a valid list of netgroup user/and/or/hosts contained in the server
hosts .shosts or shosts.equiv. I assume that I am unable to add netgroups
within the AllowGroup and/or DenyGroup?

Authentication is already setup properly this way for rsh, rsh denies users
based on their host and/or user, all from NIS and depending what is
contained within /etc/hosts.equiv and/or /.rhosts. What I wish to do is to
duplicate this within ossh.

I am having alot of trouble finding information on how to get NIS netgroup
to work into my sshd_config.  Since I am using PAM, should my pam.conf
contain some special information for ssh w/PAM? Do I need any special pam
modules?

I've created an /etc/shosts.equiv and ~.shosts file identical to what is
contained within .rhosts and hosts.equiv. My sshd_config contains
IgnoreRhosts = no.

My environment is pure NIS, no LDAP, at least not for the next year.

Many, many thanks in advance,

.vp

Vadim