too many close calls for non-opened fds

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Aug 21 23:16:57 EST 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 05:49:36PM +0530, Logu wrote:
> I thought this issue occurs from openssh-3.9 because of introduction of
> re-exec feature.
> I tried by disabling the re-exec feature and still I see a large number of
> close() calls during connection.

If you run sshd with "-r", how many close() calls do you see per connection?

If it's 60 or so then session.c does this:

        /*
         * Close any extra open file descriptors so that we don't have them
         * hanging around in clients.  Note that we want to do this after
         * initgroups, because at least on Solaris 2.3 it leaves file
         * descriptors open.
         */
        for (i = 3; i < 64; i++)
                close(i);

but I can't see that having a significant performance impact.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.