Portable OpenSSH 4.3 (Solaris)

Richard Hopkins Richard.Hopkins at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 03:36:18 EST 2006

Hi,

  I get this when I try to configure openssh-4.3p1 under Solaris (8 and 9)..

configure: WARNING: lastlog.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: lastlog.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: lastlog.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: lastlog.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: lastlog.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: lastlog.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------- ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------------- ##

It'll make quite happily, but if used it (unsurprisingly) doesn't write to
/var/adm/wtmpx correctly so you end up with entries like...

ccxxx     pts/13                        Thu Jan  1 01:00   still logged in
ccxxx     pts/13                        Thu Jan  1 01:00   still logged in
ccxxx     pts/3                         Thu Jan  1 01:00   still logged in
ccxxx     pts/14                        Thu Jan  1 01:00   still logged in
ccxxx     pts/14                        Thu Jan  1 01:00   still logged in
ccxxx     pts/13                        Thu Jan  1 01:00   still logged in

This problem didn't exist with openssh-4.2p1, which logs correctly...

ccxxx     pts/13       cse-xxx.cse.bris Thu Feb  2 15:33 - 15:34  (00:00)

I'm configuring 4.3p1 exactly as I did 4.2p1...

./configure --with-tcp-wrappers --with-pam --with-cflags="-DNO_IDEA"
--with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl

Is this my problem or a generic Solaris problem?

Cheers,

Richard Hopkins,
Information Services,
Computer Centre,