getnameinfo() call and fake-rfc2553.c

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Feb 4 23:26:48 EST 2006

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:30:19AM +0530, santhi wrote:
> Im using OpenSSH 4.2p1. The getnameinfo() call in my system libc is broken
> and as a result SSH fails saying getnameinfo failed:host nor service
> provided.

Can you tell us what the underlying OS is?  If it's consistently broken,
maybe configure should handle it specifically.

> Im thinking of using getnameinfo() call available from openbsd-compat
> directory to get rid of this problem. As this is a production system, we
> can't make changes without convincing  my syadmin and managers.
>
> I understand that the purpose of openbsd-compat directory is to provide
> missing libc calls for portable OpenSSH. In this regard I have the following
> question for the list members.

Missing or broken, see below.

> I am trying to use fake-rfc2553.c as part of my compilation (by undefining
> HAVE_GETNAMEINFO). Is my approach correct?

That will work, but it may be easier to define BROKEN_GETADDRINFO, eg
"./configure --with-cflags=-DBROKEN_GETADDRINFO".  That's effectively
what configure already does on systems known to have broken implementations
of the getaddrinfo family of functions (eg AIX 4.3.3 and early maintenance
levels of 5.1 and 5.2).

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.