PermitRootLogin proplem

Michaël Hooreman mhooreman at be.keyware.com
Mon Feb 13 22:02:56 EST 2006

Hi all,

I think that there is a security problem with the PermitRootLogin
option.

I asked an root ssh connection:

	$ ssh root at machine
	root at machine's password:

I typed no password, this prompt stayed in place.

In a second time, I changed the PermitRootLogin to no, and then restart
ssh server.

Third, I typed the password on the previous prompt, and the access was
allowed.

I then retry to connect and, at this time, the root connection was
disallowed, as expected.

So, is it possible to inform the ssh client that the ssh server has
restarted when he gives a prompt?

Thank you for your help.

P.S: I didn't see how to subscribe to this list, so I cannot follow your
P.P.S: The ssh server was a Linux Fedora Core 4, up to date, with
openssh v. 4.2p_1.

---
Michaël Hooreman
Keyware Transaction and Processing