Status of Bugzilla #1153

Jefferson Ogata Jefferson.Ogata at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 22 03:12:25 EST 2006

On 02/21/2006 11:02 AM, Simon Vallet wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:10:21 -0500
> Carson Gaspar <carson at taltos.org> wrote:
>>No. gethostname() needs to return the (or a) FQDN of the server. Anything
>>else is just broken and begging for trouble. This is sysadmin 101.
>
> This is not in any way included in any standard, and I personally
> think that it was a reasonable choice. However, even if this is a
> debatable topic, it totally misses the point : even when gethostname()
> returns an FQDN, there is no way to tell in advance if the returned
> value will fit wanted ("working") usage.
>
> And actually, arbitrarily (from an OpenSSH POV) choosing an
> interface/hostname to use in DISPLAY regardless of the interface the
> SSH traffic is coming from seems just as "broken" and "begging for
> trouble".

Yes, it seems to me a more obvious choice for sshd's DISPLAY variable
(if not localhost) is the numeric IP of the sshd's local endpoint. This
is congruent with SSH_CLIENT, which doesn't try to resolve names in DNS.

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata at noaa.gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt at noaa.gov>