Status of Bugzilla #1153

Simon Vallet svallet at genoscope.cns.fr
Wed Feb 22 03:32:54 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:10:21 -0500
Carson Gaspar <carson at taltos.org> wrote:

> True, but he's using DNS as his namespace internally, and complaining about
> ambiguous shortname->FQDN mapping (and hasn't put "shortname." into DNS, so
> he's not doing weird advanced things).

Come on now -- let's quit this this useless ranting. I'm not whining
here : I experienced a problem with the way OpenSSH sets DISPLAY, I
notified the developpers, and I even provide a fix. If you don't think
this is useful, fine -- but please tell us why -- apart from vague
assertions mentioning Sysadmin 101.

> "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
> "Then don't do it."

The general Unix philosophy is to give anyone enough rope to hang
itself -- and actually there *are* some people who enjoy to get "hurt"
that way. If you don't it's OK -- nobody asks you to not set your
hostname to an FQDN -- you're safe ;-)

Simon