Status of Bugzilla #1153

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Feb 22 09:41:52 EST 2006

Simon Vallet wrote:
> I *definitely* think I'm missing something now ;-) How on earth would you route
> every packet destined to the outside through the bastion without specifying
> that bastion in a default route (be it static or dynamic) ?

That's the point: in such a configuration you don't route any *packets*
to the outside at all.  Connections get proxied at the TCP or
application level, eg via SOCKS, tcprelay, web proxy, mail gateway or
similar on the bastion host (which typically has IP forwarding disabled).

IP packets destined for addresses not in the internal network result in
an ICMP network-unreachable.

(Your two-hop X11-over-ssh scheme is an example of this kind of
application-level relay; it should be able to work in such an
environment but with your proposed change probably won't.)

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.