Status of Bugzilla #1153

Simon Vallet svallet at genoscope.cns.fr
Wed Feb 22 21:13:03 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:59:49 -0500
Carson Gaspar <carson at taltos.org> wrote:

> If you really want to follow the "give the user enough rope" maxim, what
> you'd want is Yet Another Config Option to sshd that allows you to specify
> the X11 host name.

In fact I think this _is_ a very good idea

> But I doubt the maintainers would be happy with that,
> given their (not unjustified) resistance to more knobs.

I doubt it also (and I can understand it), but this is not the topic
for now.

> I still think that your patch, as proposed, is a Very Bad Idea. And that
> you'd make your life much easier for yourself if you'd just make hostname()
> return an internally resolvable/reachable FQDN. Or if you're dead set
> against that, just transmogrify DISPLAY in the init scripts.

I see that there is strong opposition to this patch, because it breaks
your setup, probably other ones too, and this is clearly undesirable.
We agree on this -- however I still think there is a bug, and that it
should be fixed : Darren suggested an interesting alternative -- I
think we might agree on this one.

I will repeat it once again: my interest is not in breaking other
peoples setup, it is on getting this bug fixed, so we (and others)
don't have to manually patch every single release.

Simon