Patch to add resume feature to scp

Chris Rapier rapier at psc.edu
Thu Jun 1 03:33:50 EST 2006

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> I'm almost 100% sure that users could be trained using sftp if two
> scp command line options are added to sftp, -r and -p.

Really depends on the users doesn't it? At our facility we supply grants
of computing time and other resources on 3000+ node supercomputers to at
least 12,000 local users, researchers, scientists, and organizations
scattered throughout the US and the world. We could probably force our
local staff to make any changes but the researchers and scientists? It
would be about as easy as shaving a cat hopped up on coke - especially
if they didn't perceive any compelling reason to do it (like a
performance boost). As such, anything that breaks a script or changes
how they do something is a disaster for us.

There are at least 4 other centers that do similar things and would have
similar problems.