scp and SGI DMF

Peter Stuge stuge-openssh-unix-dev at cdy.org
Wed Mar 1 12:08:16 EST 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 03:58:27PM -0800, Iain Morgan wrote:
> This causes DMF (the HSM) to recall the file from tape and the scp
> hangs until it is successfully recalled.

Oh.

> So, I'm wondering if there would be any interest in either adding
> (yet another) command-line option to add O_TRUNC to the open()
> flags when writing a file

I doubt this will ever happen. scp is only maintained for backwards
compatibility with rcp.

> or perhaps to change the default behaviour. (I'm assuming the
> latter is unlikely.)

Can you test what rcp does? The general intention for scp is that it
should behave the same way rcp does, if rcp truncates then scp may
quite possibly change.

> I should note that sftp doesn't seem to have the same problem.
> However, the lack of a recursive copy makes it problematic for many
> of our users.

Teaching sftp how to do recursive copies is probably the best
solution in any case since sftp is actually developed rather than
just maintained.

//Peter