caching

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Mon Mar 13 07:15:02 EST 2006

Hi,

About caching, I've not been paying attention for some time, but
things seem to have improved from a usability standpoint. Now I have
"ControlPath ~/.ssh/sockets/%r@%h:%p" in .ssh/config and the procedure
is fairly automated.

One thing is, it would be nice is to have an option to specify that,
if it is not possible to connect to an old socket, then ssh should
remove the socket and create a new one.

$ ssh fly   # <- here ssh knows that existing socket is dead
Control socket connect(/home/frederik/.ssh/sockets/frederik at fly:22): Connection refused
Linux fly 2.6.15.6 #1 Sun Mar 12 07:53:50 GMT 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
$ ssh -fNM fly   # <- here ssh doesn't bother to check that existing socket is dead
ControlSocket /home/frederik/.ssh/sockets/frederik at fly:22 already exists

Then I would specify this option in .ssh/config for certain hosts, and
their master connections would get resurrected automatically if they
happened to die...

Regards,

Frederik

http://ofb.net/~frederik/