Patch to add resume feature to scp

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu May 11 15:55:46 EST 2006

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Jim Knoble wrote:

> Circa 2006-05-10 03:10 dixit Girish Venkatachalam:
>
> : Dear all,
> :
> : I have enhanced scp to do the following.
>
>   [do pretty much the same thing as rsync]
>
> What's wrong with using rsync?  It already does pretty much the same
> thing, with no bump in version number necessary.

Sorry, but I agree: scp is pretty much unmaintainable as it is -
without throwing the complexity of multiple incompatible
implementations into the mix.

If you want to implement new feature, please base them on sftp. It
is a far saner protocol and many improvements only need changes on
the client. It also offers a clean protocol extension mechanism, so
changes that do require server support can be made without breaking
older clients.

-d