OpenSSH_2.5.2p2 port forwarding problem

J. Kras llrw6ve9fzwh1001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Nov 2 09:08:48 EST 2006

Version: OpenSSH_2.5.2p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090601f
Platform: RedHat Linux 7.0 and Sun Solaris 2.6

I have the following problem: when I set up port forwarding for HTTP, running Squid
at one end as an HTTP proxy and a browser at the other end (Netscape, IE) everything
works fine, I can tunnel HTTP requests through OpenSSH but I keep seeing
the following error messages that mess up my display really bad:

channel 14: chan_shutdown_read: shutdown() failed for fd23 [i1 o16]: Transport endpoint is not connected
channel 28: chan_shutdown_read: shutdown() failed for fd37 [i1 o16]: Transport endpoint is not connected

(There are very many of these, they never end).

I noticed that if I start the client with "ssh -q" or if I set the LogLevel in ssh_config to
FATAL the errors are not printed anymore. A log level of ERROR will still print
them so I would assume they are errors.

I did not used to have this problem with ssh-1.2.27, but I just upgraded to OpenSSH
and this problem is anoying.

I don't want to always set the LogLevel to FATAL as I want to see other informational
messages like for example the open  forwarded connections when I close the ssh client.

Is this considered a bug or intended behavior? Any fixes, workarounds?

Please CC: me when you reply as I am not on the mailing lists yet.

Thanks.

Kras