Use remote machine environmental variables

William Ahern william at 25thandClement.com
Wed Oct 11 07:57:35 EST 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 11:09:43AM -0700, Clark Menard wrote:
> I am having an issue passing a command through ssh which uses an environment variable.  I would like the environment variable to be read from the remote host, but it is being read from the local host.
>
> For instance:
>
> ssh rhost ls -lm $WWW_HOME

ssh rhost ls -lm \$WWW_HOME

The issue is that your command is being variable interpolated by your local
shell before executing ssh. You want to pass a literal '$WWW_HOME' argument
to ssh (so it can pass it over the ssh channel), so you need to escape it
from the local shell.

- Bill