Using CHROOT jail in SFTP

John Monagin monagin at lason.com
Thu Oct 19 03:38:07 EST 2006

Good afternoon,

I have been using OpenSSH 3.8p1 and added code to sftp-server.c so I could put users in chroot jail.  When I setup a new system and downloaded OpenSSH 4.4p1 and tried the same patch it fails with the following in the /var/log/messages file:
sftp-server[11001]: fatal: Couldn't chroot to user directory /home/newyork/ftpbcc: Operation not permitted

I was wondering why one would work and the other would not.

I am running SUSE Linux Enterprise server 9.0.

Regards,

John Monagin
Lason, Inc.
Office - 734-632-1681