scp and character encoding in file names

Risto Suominen risto.suominen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 22:51:42 EST 2006

Hello,

I got an 'Invalid argument' error when trying to scp a file, with
non-ascii characters in its name, from Linux (ISO 8859-15) to OS X
(UTF-8).

So I made a patch for scp that adds two option flags:

-I: local side uses UTF-8 and remote side uses ISO 8859-15
-U: local side uses ISO 8859-15 and remote side uses UTF-8

and converts the filenames on-the-fly. Maybe it would be useful for
others, as well.

Risto Suominen

ps. The patch seems to work with openssh-4.4p1, too.