Requirement for sshd account since 4.4p1

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Sat Oct 28 03:36:56 EST 2006

On Oct 28 03:22, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > I understand that simple point, but I don't understand the argumentation.
> > This change leaves users behind which have been using sshd for a long
> > time in a specific manner.
>
> "leaving behind" is a very emotive way to say "users have to install an
> account". On the vast majority of platforms, this account has existed
> for years anyway, so it is a total nop for most people.

It wasn't meant emotional.  But you're avoiding to reply to the original
problem by stating that it is not a problem in "most" cases.

There are platforms and users out there which don't live in a situation
which is covered by "most".  They have used sshd for years in a valid
way.  The change in question blocks this usage suddenly and it seems
that the affected users are just dropped off and you simply don't care.
That's at least surprising.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen