non-informative error message

Serafeim Zanikolas serzan at hellug.gr
Mon Sep 11 20:26:57 EST 2006

On Monday 11 September 2006 01:39, Tim wrote:
> I request that this message stay the same and that users consider
> gaining a sense of humor and a cultural understanding of the systems in
> use.

OK, it did give me a good laugh the first couple of times, but after a while
it just gets annoying. Perhaps you could consider changing the message to
something witty _and_ informative (eg, bash under the same circumstances
says "I have no name!"). But then again, I'd rather not be though of as an
exterminator of your cultural heritage :)

(For the history, the error arises because I'm authenticated by a NIS server
behind a faulty-soon-to-be-replaced switch that causes occasional timeouts)

Cheers,
Serafeim